JOB TITLE: Chief Executive Officer, Baby-Friendly USA
LOCATION: Albany, NY. Limited travel may be required.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
BENEFITS: Include paid time off for holidays, vacation and sick leave and a monthly stipend that may be applied to the purchase of health insurance, dental insurance and/or a 401 (k) retirement plan.
The Board of Directors is recruiting a Chief Executive Officer to succeed our current leader who is retiring.
About Baby-Friendly USA
Baby-Friendly USA (BFUSA) is the national accrediting body for WHO (World Health Organization)/UNICEF’s (United Nations Children’s Fund) Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI). BFUSA assesses infant feeding policies and practices in hospitals and birthing centers and confers the prestigious international Baby-Friendly® designation on those that meet rigorous standards that demonstrate excellence in breastfeeding promotion and support. Through the designation process, BFUSA helps millions of babies get off to a great start, upholding the highest standards in infant feeding care. Every year, over a million babies are born at the 600+ Baby-Friendly® hospitals in the United States.
BFUSA is in itself a small organization, but our work is unusually far-reaching and complicated. The facilities that BFUSA works with are each part of the complex and fluid U.S. healthcare environment. Each has clinical, fiscal, and accountability challenges with which to contend. In addition, BFUSA interfaces with a wide range of state-wide, national and international organizations.
Because BFUSA is a small organization, the CEO is called on to play a major role in such issues as government affairs, legal compliance, hospital affairs, and communications. Additionally, it is important that the CEO has demonstrated experience in and commitment to advancing equity in maternal and infant health as this is one of BFUSA’s highest values
The job requirements below reflect the attributes needed to carry out the complex array of roles and responsibilities of the CEO of BFUSA.
Required educational background:
- Graduate degree in non-profit leadership/management, public health, nursing, healthcare administration, or related field.
Preferred experience and credentials:
- At least 10 years of experience leading and/or managing nonprofit organizations, working strategically with boards and building successful relationships with staff, customers, and external stakeholders
- Clinical license (e.g. MD, DO, CNM, NP, PA) and/or professional management credentials (e.g. CPH, MPA, MPH, MBA, CAE)
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving support for evidence-based breastfeeding practices in maternity services
- Has relevant experience in the fields of maternal and child health or infant feeding
- Is skilled at analyzing and navigating complex environments, managing change and adapting to the challenges with openness and creativity
- Shows a commitment to serving diverse and underserved populations, ensuring that all families have access to Baby-Friendly care
- Has experience with performance assessment and program evaluation practices in health care
- Is skilled at managing the development and use of information and communications technology
To attract a broad and diverse candidate pool, the review of applications will take into consideration the candidate’s full background, including experience, education, and professional certifications, as well as a commitment to the mission of the organization.
Key aspects of the CEO role:
- Works collaboratively and strategically with the Board of Directors and staff in the establishment and implementation of Baby-Friendly USA policies
- Oversees and supervises the performance of operational managers and staff
- Collects, shares, and disseminates clinical and non-clinical information and knowledge to inform the board and staff of significant developments and trends in the field
- Fields clinical questions from BFUSA’s team of facility assessors and from hospital staff
- Guides the development of new initiatives and programs in collaboration with the board, key staff, and stakeholders, as needs and challenges evolve
- Is responsible for operations, including the management of human resources, budgets and finance, contracts, technology and internal structures to control the organization in compliance with the law
- Serves as spokesperson for BFUSA via written and oral communication with media and stakeholders
- Represents BFUSA at national and international meetings and in deliberations with UNICEF, WHO, other international organizations working on the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative
Submit cover letter and resume via email to:
Interested candidates should submit application materials to Mary Applegate, MD MPH, Chair of the Search Committee at CEOSearch@babyfriendly.org. We will begin reviewing applications on July 27, 2020.
To be complete, your application must include the following:
- a cover letter that summarizes your qualifications, experience, and why you are the ideal candidate for the position and
- a current resume that clearly highlights the qualifications, experiences and capabilities that align with the job requirements*
- BFUSA will also conduct background and reference checks. Finalist candidates agree to cooperate fully in those procedures.
*Note: Documentation of relevant licensure and certifications may be requested later.